1. Entry Requirements
What are the entry requirements to the training programmes?
- General Requirements
- Aged 18 years and above
- Must have at least GCE “A” level, diploma or equivalent certificate
- Possess good proficiency in the English language
- Preferably have good background in Mathematics and Physics
- No criminal conviction or finding of guilt (including all motor vehicle traffic-related convictions)
- All male Singaporeans must have completed, be exempted from or not liable for National Service
- Medical Requirements
- Must be able to pass Aviation Class 1/ and Class 2 medical examination
- Eye sight requirement: Below 500 degrees or correctable by spectacles and contact lens
Please refer to the various training programmes for their respective entry requirements.
What are the qualities required of an applicant?
- Self discipline
- Willingness to learn
Are international students allowed to apply for the training programmes?
Is it necessary to have an aviation-related qualification to apply for the pilot training programmes?
It is not compulsory for the applicants to have an aviation-related qualification to apply for the training programmes.
Our ab-initio pilot training programmes are suitable for those with little or no flying experience.
I am a Singaporean currently serving National Service. When shall I submit my application to STAA?
I am in my mid-40s. Can I still pursue pilot training?
Are part-time courses available at STAA?
2. Application / Enrolment Process
How do I go about applying to enrol with STAA?
- Completed application form with one passport-sized photograph
- A copy of your identification card and passport
- A copy of your educational certificates and transcripts
- A copy of your flight experience documents (if applicable)
- A copy of NS completion certificate for male Singaporeans
- For non-native English speakers, a copy of your IELTS results (if applicable)
What will I be assessed on during the Selection Test conducted by STAA?
- Psychomotor skills
- Speed and accuracy (Mathematics questions)
Where can I get my Aviation Class 1 medical examination done?
A Class 1 medical certificate is required of all pilots involved in the commercial aviation.
For applicants joining the CAAS CPL programme, the CAAS Class 1/ and Class 2 medical examination could be done at Raffles Medical Group located at Changi Airport Terminal 3. All applicants will need to obtain the official approved medical certificate before the commencement of the training programme.
Please be reminded that prior appointments should be made before heading down to the clinic for the medical examination and all expenses incurred shall be borne by the applicants.
What is the IELTS Certificate and where can I get it?
How do I obtain my 'Certificate of No Criminal Conviction'?
3. Course Fees
What does the total course fees comprises of for the training programme?
The training fees shall cover the items as described below for the training period. All other items, benefits and services will be subjected to additional charges.
- Books and Materials needed in the Training Programme.
- Uniform for cadet
- Flight Training - the hours as stipulated in the contract that is required of the cadet during the course of training. (Not applicable to Air Transport Pilot Licence (Theory) Course)
- Examination Fees - only the first attempt of the flight and theory examinations
- Transportation in overseas training location - sending cadets to and from the designated accommodation location to the training venues. (Not applicable to Air Transport Pilot Licence (Theory) Course)
- Air ticket - a round trip economy class ticket between Singapore and the overseas training location. (Not applicable to Air Transport Pilot Licence (Theory) Course)
- Fee Protection Scheme - insurance to protect the students' course fees
- Medical Insurance
- Personal Accident Insurance (Not applicable to Air Transport Pilot Licence (Theory) Course)
- Board & Lodging in overseas training location (Not applicable to Air Transport Pilot Licence (Theory) Course)
What are the other expenses which I have to bear separately, in addition to the training course fees?
- Application and Selection test fees
- Aviation Class 1/ and Class 2 medical examination fees
- IELTS Certificate application fees
- Certificate of No Criminal Conviction (CNCC) application fees
- Visa application fees
- Accommodation and transport cost for international students during their stay in Singapore